Recipe of the Month - January 2009
Published on January 5, 2009 - 9:03 pm
Potato and Leek Soup
Yield: Serves 4 approximately
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, thinly sliced, and washed well (about 4 ½ cups)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, diced
- 4 ½ cups (or more) chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or parsley
Heat a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and butter; stir to melt butter, coating the leeks. Cover saucepan; cook until leeks are tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add potato. Cover and cook until potatoes begin to soften but do not brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add 4 ½ cups stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.
Puree soup in batches in processor or blender until smooth (alternatively an immersion blender can be utilized to puree soup directly in its cooking vessel). Return soup to saucepan if using a processor or blender. Thin with additional stock if too thick. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup back to a simmer. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with chives or parsley and serve.
Soup can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
Optional: To enrich soup add 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream.