Busking at Eastern Market
Eastern Market Corporation (EMC) strives to make Eastern Market more engaging and compelling for its customers. If you are an entertaining street performer we welcome you to join us for our Saturday Market to put smiles on the faces of our guests while they shower you with affection and tips.
EMC has developed this application and adopted policies to make Busking at Eastern Market a rewarding experience for you, other Buskers, our vendors, and most importantly, our customers.
What is a Busker?
Buskers are street performers who may be (but not limited to being) actors, singers, musicians, jugglers, mimes, human statues, magicians, or puppeteers.
A Busking group cannot consist of more than (4) people without written permission from EMC. Performers engaging in any activity with more than (4) people or requiring more space than allotted at our Busking locations including but not limited to, acrobatics, tumblers, or cyclists must seek written permission from EMC or identify alternative locations for their performances.
Procedure for Busking at Eastern Market
Submit completed application to EMC office along with a check or money order (made payable to Eastern Market Corporation) for $5. This registration fee is for an Eastern Market badge holder. You are responsible for keeping the badge holder and bringing it with you each time you perform. Replacement badges cost $5 each.
Busker slots are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis by coming to the EMC office.
On Saturday, report to the EMC office to receive your location and time assignment, and receive a daily badge to insert into the badge holder.
Where Can Buskers Set Up?
Five different locations have been designated as places where Buskers can perform. See attached map.
When Can Buskers Perform?
Buskers can perform between 8AM and 4PM on Saturdays.
Each Saturday is divided into half-hour time slots.
Buskers may perform a maximum of two hours which must be split between two or more locations.
Buskers may perform for a maximum of four half-hour slots per Saturday.
Busker Rules and Regulations:
- All material must be considered family-friendly. Obscenity or indecency will not be tolerated.
- Performers age 12 and under are limited to a maximum of two (2) hours per Saturday and must take a performance break every thirty (30) minutes.
- Your daily badge must be displayed at all times. Buskers without badges will be asked to leave the Market immediately.
- Only one badge holder is necessary per group.
- Performances shall only take place at the times and locations designated by the Eastern Market Corporation.
- You may not stay in any location longer than assigned, even if another Busker does not show up to take your spot.
- Performers must not interfere with or block the normal flow of commerce at any time.
- Performers may request contributions.
- Contributions may be received in appropriate receptacle, such as an open musical instrument case, box or hat.
- Performers are responsible for clean-up of all litter at the performance site.
- Knives, swords, torches, flames, axes, saws or other objects that can cause bodily injury to any person are prohibited.
- Amplification devices are prohibited.
- The sale of any products or goods is prohibited.
- Generators, or any other power sources that pose a fire or public safety hazard are prohibited.
- Connections to or maintenance of an electrical cord to an adjacent building or to an Eastern Market power source is prohibited.
- Performers may not perform with more instruments, props, equipment, merchandise or other items than the performer can reasonably transport or remove at one time.
Anyone who breaks any of the above rules will be asked to leave. Repeated violations of the above rules may result in suspension or termination of Busking privileges at the Market.