Your membership investment in the Friends of Eastern Market helps improve one of Detroit’s most cherished places and builds America’s most complete healthy metropolitan food hub. This year, with the City of Detroit’s diminished financial ability to support the market, your support is even more critical.
Eastern Market Corporation (EMC) is a non-profit that manages the market and works to improve the local food economy. Since its inception in 2006, some of EMC’s achievements include:
· Secured and directed the investment of more than $10 million in capital improvements with the preparation of a master plan and completion of extensive renovations to Sheds 2 & 3.
· Implemented a new, seasonal Tuesday Market, greatly expanded the variety of food products at the market, programmed healthy cooking demonstrations as a regular market feature, and developed payment systems that provide recession-stressed families with better access healthy food by encouraging Bridge Card use at the market.
· Improved access to healthy food throughout Detroit by developing a neighborhood farmers market network and operating farm stands both of which help connect area farmers from our wholesale market to those in the region who live in neighborhoods without healthy food stores.
· Increased job opportunities and attracted investment to grow the local food economy by incubating specialty food processors and helping food-related companies near the market expand.
While much has improved much more work remains, EMC continually seeks to improve market operations, implement its capital improvement program, revitalize the Eastern Market District, and strengthen the regional food system. Key projects for the coming year include:
· Completing Shed 5 renovations including opening of a shared-use Community Kitchen that will increase our ability to incubate new food processors and provide educational opportunities about healthy eating.
· Working with Detroit Public Schools and other area schools to increase the content of fresh food in school meals.
· Increasing the number of neighborhood markets and farm stand sites to improve access to fresh food in Detroit.
· Preparing for the launch of a Sunday Market following completion of Shed 5 renovations in late 2012 or early 2013.
· Attracting at least four new businesses to the market district and continue clean and safe programs to make your enjoyment of the market area even more satisfying.
We know you have many worthy causes from which to choose as you contemplate your philanthropic investments. Your financial support of EMC builds a stronger, more sustainable Eastern Market, helps improve food access in areas with epidemic rates of type II diabetes and obesity, and strengthens the local economy.
Beyond the satisfaction of supporting Eastern Market and local food system development, your membership investment also pays dividends when you take advantage of these discounts provided by EMC and Eastern Market merchants.
Our Friends of Eastern Market enjoy member benefits such as:
· 10% discount at Eastern Market Participating Businesses
· 10% discount Friends of Eastern Market Merchandise
· A reusable Eastern Market shopping bag
· Friends of Eastern Market window decal to proudly display your support
· Quarterly newsletter, e-alerts
Become a Friend of Eastern Market
Use the buttons below to learn more about membership levels: