Busking at Eastern Market
Eastern Market Corporation (EMC) strives to make Eastern Market more engaging and compelling for its customers. If you are an entertaining street performer we welcome you to join us for our Saturday, Tuesday and Sunday Markets to put smiles on the faces of our guests while they shower you with affection and tips.
Busking Application must be filled out in person at the EMC office.
What is a Busker?
Buskers are street performers at least 12 years old who may be (but not limited to being) actors, singers, musicians, jugglers, mimes, human statues, magicians, or puppeteers.
A Busking group cannot consist of more than (4) people without written permission from EMC. Performers engaging in any activity with more than (4) people or requiring more space than is normally allotted at our Busking locations must seek written permission from EMC and identify alternative locations for their performances. This is including but not limited to, acrobatics, tumblers, or cyclists.
Buskers who use amplification must seek written permission from EMC. Permission is granted at EMC’s discretion after reviewing the specific amplifier. There is only one location for buskers where we allow amplification.
Procedure for Busking at Eastern Market
1. Submit completed application to EMC office along with $5.00 (credit card, cash, check or money order made payable to Eastern Market Corporation). This is a onetime registration fee and covers the cost of an Eastern Market badge holder. You are responsible for keeping the badge holder and bringing it with you each time you perform. Replacement badges cost $5.00 each.
2. Busker slots are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis on the actual market day by coming to the EMC office. Busking locations are all outside of the Sheds.
3. If a Busking slot is available, you will receive a Busking badge with your time and location. The badge is placed in your Eastern Market badge holder and worn in a visible location.
Where Can Buskers Set Up?
Depending on the market day, up to five different locations have been designated as places where Buskers can perform. See attached map.
When Can Buskers Perform?
Buskers can perform during public market hours on Saturday, Tuesday, and Sunday.
Buskers in non-amplified spaces are assigned 1/2 hour performance slots. Buskers in the one amplified space are assigned one hour performance slots.
Buskers may perform for a maximum of two hours per public market day.
Busker Rules and Regulations:
- Office Hours: Mon-Sat 8a.m. - 4p.m.
- Public Market Hours: Sat 6a.m. - 4p.m.
- 2934 Russell Street
- Detroit, MI 48207
- PH: 313.833.9300
- FAX: 313.833.9309